Planning permission is the consent given by the local authority that allows alterations to the initial design of a building, changing its use or changing the initial land use. It is necessitated by the existence of a development policy in an area or local special interests such as environmental conservation. Planning permission has legal backing in the form of legislation and hence not getting it when it is required is a violation of the law. It is argued that planning permissions exist mainly to ensure that all developments are of acceptable standards.


Some alterations can be made to buildings in the absence of planning permission. Such modifications are possible because of the existence of permitted rights. Permitted development rights can therefore be simply described as rights that allow the home owner to make certain changes to his or her own home without having to get planning permission. There are however several rules that guide the use of permitted development rights and the rights are not uniform in all areas. The rights are normally limited in areas where there are special interests such as; conservation areas, national parks and world heritage sites. It is important to note that some permitted development rights may be suspended by the local authorities.

Both planning permission and development rights ensure that all developments are regulated and hence do not have any adverse environmental effects. Therefore, it is crucial for every building owner to know when planning permission is normally required before modifications are made to a building and the type of alterations that do not require the same due to the existence of development rights that allow them. With regard to this, we are going to highlight some of the changes that can be effected on a building in the absence of planning permission since they are allowed by development rights. We are also going to highlight some of the building adjustments that are not permitted in the absence of planning permission.


To find out more on this click here!

1. Re-modelling of the interior of the house

Development rights allow internal re-modelling of the building, provided the proposed interior modifications do not extend the space occupied by the building in any way. Therefore , you can change the internal décor of your home without worrying if you are in violation of any planning law. With regard to plumbing, electrical and structural works, building regulations have to be strictly adhered to. This is because any compromise with regard to this key aspects will greatly affect the safety and structural integrity of the structure. By using us to remodel the interior of your house, you can rest assured that in addition to our personnel remodelling your home exceptionally well, they will also ensure that all electrical, structural and plumbing works meet the required standards

2. Single storey extensions and conservatories.

Without prior planning permission, you can build single storey extensions and conservatories provided they meet a certain set of conditions. The first condition that must be met is that the extensions should not sit forward the principal elevation. The eaves should not be higher than 3metres if the extensions are within 2 metres of any boundary.Additionally,the width of the extension must not be exceed half the width of the original building. It is important to note that some of the above mentioned adjustments may not be permitted in conservation areas.

3. Merging of buildings

Planning permission is not required to merge two adjacent houses such as a pair of semis or adjacent adjoined flats into one. It is normally allowed by permitted development rights. We have a wealth of experience with regard to merging of buildings.Nonetheless,you will require planning permission to divide a property into two.
4 .Garage conversions and loft conversions

Garage conversions are often permitted by permitted development rights. The cold, uninspiring and unattractive garage can be converted into beautiful living space by our exceptional team of designers.Nonetheless,the garage conversions are only allowed by development rights as long as they do not increase the footprint of the building. If the proposed conversion is going to increase the overall area occupied by the building, planning permission is going to be required.Normally,we help our clients get local authority approvals. Loft conversions also do not require planning permission and hence lofts can be used to create additional living space.

5. Gates, walls and fences.

Minor alterations to gates, walls and fences do not normally require prior planning permission. Permitted development rights allow the building, improvement and maintenance of the same. The height of the fence or wall should not be greater than 2m. Nonetheless,such developments are normally not permitted around a building that is listed.


1. Building a separate house in the garden.

Building a separate house in the compound requires planning permission since it is usually not included in the original planning permission of the house. The planning permission is necessitated by the fact that the new structure must be in line with the building policy of the local area.

2. Making major alterations to a building.

Making major changes to the building that are not encompassed in development rights may greatly alter the appearance of the building and hence contravene the terms in the initial planning permission. It is therefore necessary for a new planning permission to be acquired to ensure that the modified building does contravene the building policies of the area in which it is located

3.Using a section of the house for commercial purposes.

If you decide to use a section of your house for commercial purposes, for example using the garage for business ,you will be required to get a planning permission. This is because the planned activity may not be in line with the development policy of the locality of the building.

4. Demolitions

If you want to demolish a building with volume that exceeds 150 cubic metres you will require prior planning permission. The same is also required for the demolition of a wall that or gate that is over 2 metres high or over 1 metre high if the wall or gate is next to a major highway or road.

Contact us today for more information!